The term “Muffin” rings a bell for a sweet, cakey breakfast delectable. In this case please cancel out the word “sweet” in your mind, because there is nothing sweet about my muffins Lol. These are warm, savoury and CHEESY.
This week we’re breaking all the food stereotypes “savoury biscuits, cheese muffins”. Not everything that is baked needs to be sweet, and some people like us prefer savoury snacks over sweet treats.
There are plenty of ways to enjoy these muffins. You can eat them as is or slice in half and add a savoury filling of your choice to make a sandwich like the image below.
Cheese Muffin Recipe
- 60g Butter
- 4 Eggs
- 500ml Flour
- 5ml Salt
- 5ml Mustard
- 20ml Baking Powder
- 400g Grated Gouda Cheese
- 250ml Milk
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Beat Butter and the Eggs together
- Mix all the dry ingredients and add to the butter mixture. Mix well.
- Add milk gradually to form a fairly sticky dough.
- Fill greased muffin pan to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Makes 24 muffins.
- Rolls for a braai
- Rolls for stews